Social PLM: From File Explorer to Activity Streams

Social hype is getting down. I can say it about PLM industry too. We can see less “social startups” and less marketing hype about how next big social revolution will come and solve all existing problems in PLM technologies and systems. If you want to catch up with my previous thoughts about social PLM, I recommend you to read – How to prevent social PLM from marketing fluff? and Why Social PLM 1.0 Failed? My conclusion about the failure of Social PLM focused on the fact “social PLMs” missed the value of customer function and instead of that, focused on value proposition only. As a result of that, they missed usage and customer adoption – two factors that absolutely important to make a shift in PLM systems.

It is interesting to see how social systems are expanding their influence in other enterprise systems like CRM and ERP. One of them is Chatter for Salesforce.com. I’ve been reading TechCrunch article about Chatter update for mobile yesterday. Navigate to the following link to read it – The New Salesforce.com CRM Platform Is Chatter And It’s Made For Mobile. What was interesting is how Chatter is proliferating to become a universal way to get information out of CRM system and communicate with other people. It made me think about social system and shifting paradigm from File Explorer way to Social way. Here is an interesting passage I captured:

Chatter, the company’s activity stream service that it launched in 2010, now has the capability for a customer to access records, edit them and take action on an account, all from a mobile device. It essentially brings CRM to the customer’s mobile phone, iPad or tablet. The updated app is now available in the Apple App Store and Google Play. The app is a significant improvement over the Salesforce.com mobile app, and has one feature that is particularly noteworthy. Chatter Publisher overlays the Chatter activity stream. Its look is reminiscent of the tiles feature on Windows Mobile Phone and the overall Windows UI.

File Exporer Paradigm

For a long time, File Explorer was a main user experience paradigm we had on the computer. File explorer was with us from early days of Windows. File explorer (folder) paradigm expanded with the tools like Outlook and becomes even wider discovery paradigm for information – folders / hierarchical discovery.

File explorer paradigm expanded even into first versions of mobile devices. On the following picture you can see an early version of mobile device UI also presenting sort of file explorer.

PDM/PLM systems are inherited File Explorer paradigm in many ways. Most of successful PDM projects inherited File Explorer user experience because it was familiar and usable. Even today, many PLM UIs looks like File Explorer.

Social Paradigm

Social paradigm roots are taking us to early days of social networks. It started as a communication tools only (messaging, chatting) and expanded as a tools to share content among group of people (Twitter, Facebook, Google+). The function of content share became even more important when mobile came to place. The ability to embed content such as video, photos in communication expanded the reach and value of these tools. The information delivery model shifted from “folder, file and share” to “activity stream with embedded content” coming from social peers.

Enterprise vendors took the activity stream paradigm beyond the point of photo/video sharing. Social applications like Chatter and others are helping you to share information content coming from files and other enterprise application in the way similar to Facebook and Google+ are sharing photos and videos. The last Chatter update just proved it again.

What is my conclusion? Shifting paradigms. In my view, we see it just in front of our eyes. What was obvious and straightforward experience for PDM/PLM systems for the last decade will become a nonsense for the generation of 2010s customers. People want their working environment to have the same experience as games, internet and mobile devices today. I can see “activity streams” paradigm as an an interesting experience that will displace current enterprise systems UI in many places. I don’t expect enterprise systems to be like Facebook. However, I think social applications will play a significant role in the future of user experience. Just my thoughts…

24 Responses to Social PLM: From File Explorer to Activity Streams

1. Howdy would you mind letting me know which webhost you’re using?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different web browsers and I must say this blog loads a
    lot faster then most. Can you recommend a good internet hosting provider
    at a reasonable price? Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

2. sex hd says:

Magnifiգue article :une fois de plus

3. Une fօis de plus un splendide poste : jе compte en parler
    plus tard avec mes collègues

4. Thanks a lot for sharing this with all folks you actually understand
    what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally seek advice from my web site =).
    We will have a link exchange agreement between us

5. K has its drawbacks, lots of wet weather riding, loads of splash back,
    boots on, waterproofs trousers over the top, not pretty,
    but i am dry when i arrive at work, well mostly. Once the 32 bit edition is installed, insert your Windows XP
    64 bit CD into the drive and reboot. Buy only the quality ones
    that could save you a dollar.

6. I almost never leave a response, however i did some searching and wound up here Social PLM: From File Explorer to Activity Streams | Daily PLM Think Tank Blog.
    And I actually do have 2 questions for you if you
    usually do not mind. Is it simply me or does it give
    the impression like a few of these responses appear as if they are written by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are writing at other social sites, I would like to
    follow everything fresh you have to post. Would you make a list of the complete urls of your community pages like your
    Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

7. Vߋus rédiցez toujours dees articlеѕ attractifs

8. blog sexe says:

C’еst bizarre jee pensais justement rédiger un post idwntique à celսi-là

9. Krystal says:

I leave a leave a response whenever I appreciate a post on a
    site or I have something to contribute to the conversation.
    Usually it is caused by the fire communicated in the
    post I looked at. And on this article Social PLM:
    From File Explorer to Activity Streams | Daily PLM Think Tank Blog.
    I was excited enough to drop a leave a responsea
    response ;-) I do have 2 questions for you if you tend not to
    mind. Is it simply me or does it appear like a few of the responses come across like
    left by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are writing on additional sites, I’d
    like to keep up with anything new you have to post. Would you list all of all your shared pages like your twitter feed,
    Facebook page or linkedin profile?

10. my website says:

I don’t even know the way I stopped up right here, but I thought
    this submit used to be great. I do not recognise who
    you are but definitely you are going to a well-known blogger if you happen to aren’t already.
    Cheers!

11. I do not leave a leave a response, however I looked at through some responses on Social PLM: From File Explorer to Activity Streams | Daily PLM Think Tank Blog.
    I do have a couple of questions for you if it’s allright.
    Could it be simply me or do a few of the comments appear like they are left by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing on other online social sites, I’d like to keep up with you.
    Would you list of all of all your public sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

12. I’ve been browsing on-line greater than three hours lately,
    yet I never discovered any interesting article like yours.
    It is beautiful value sufficient for me. In my view,
    if all website owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you
    did, the net might be a lot more useful than ever before.

13. mississauga seo

Social PLM: From File Explorer to Activity Streams | Daily PLM Think Tank Blog

14. Great weblog here! Also your web site so much up fast! What
    host are you using? Can I get your associate
    link to your host? I want my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

15. Verona says:

hello!,I really like your writing so a lot! share we communicate more about your post on AOL?
    I need a specialist on this house to solve
    my problem. Maybe that is you! Taking a look ahead to see you.

16. call of duty heroes hack says:

Red is strong against blue, blue is strong against black, black is strong against white, and white is
    strong against red.

17. Hair restoration

Social PLM: From File Explorer to Activity Streams | Daily PLM Think Tank Blog

18. how to find an HVAC company

Social PLM: From File Explorer to Activity Streams | Daily PLM Think Tank Blog

19. Alkaliine watr provides loads of energy andd oxygen to the body.
    Human body’s p – H balance is a vital element that should be
    maintained. So I drew up a list of ionizer pric comparisons, andd there is a
    broad range. The amounts of Whole Dissolved Solids (TDS), the Somme
    Alkalinity (TA), the temperature and p – H of the water all perform critical roles.
    This is NOT to discourage others who are tryng medications, especially now that there aree
    so many more available that act faster and have fewer side-effects.
    Do educate yourself with each and every detail and some
    manufacturers would have clearly shown the technical
    speccification of different modeps of home water ionizer dealt by them.

20. Leonel says:

Have a cheat day and treat yourself to all the goodies you love.
    So is it possible to lose weight fast and easy without having to resort to pills, potions or dangerous procedures that could
    lead to long-term harm your body and your health.
    If you have a snack planned, then it will make
    your caloric intake goal much easier for the day.

21. they’re the starchy french fried potatoes, canned fruits soaked in syrup and preservatives,
    or an iceberg lettuce salad. Treatments of Eczema # 3:
    GREEN BARLEY GRASS: Is the only food on earth that can nourish you from
    birth to old age. These include quercetin, a member of the
    flavonoid family which has powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer
    properties.

22. UMS Bank says:

UMS Bank

Social PLM: From File Explorer to Activity Streams | Daily PLM Think Tank Blog

23. Watching the hockey playoffs is akin to shotgunning it out of Las Vegas on an unpaved road with no sleep
    and no seat-belt. In addition to the daily Slot Tournaments, Go Casino sends players invitations and free
    entries to special tournaments. The convenience of today’s dating
    sites saves you time by being able to search for
    the type of partners you are looking for from
    the comfort of your own home.