PLM Prompt: PLM and the rise of Business Process Management

bpm-rise-and-plmI was reading Gartner research showing that BPM (Business Process Management) is rising despite the turbulent time and bad financial situation.

“Gartner Survey Shows More Than Half ofRespondents Plan to Increase Spending on BPM by More Than 5 Percent inNext 12 Months. Most business process management (BPM) practitioners expect their organizations to increase their spending on BPM by at least 5 percent over the next 12 months, according to recent surveys by Gartner, Inc. Despite economic turbulence, more than half of those surveyed plan to increase their spending on BPM efforts by more than 5 percent, and over a third of respondents plan to increase BPM spending by more than 10 percent”.

I found it as a significant danger for Product Lifecycle Management. PLM is trying to grow outside of engineering domains and focus on global enterprise process and collaboration. This is exact place where PLM can meet BPM vendors… So 10% BPM growth can be projected on potential $$$ loses of enterprise PLM vendors.

Just my thoughts, Good weekend! Oleg.

23 Responses to PLM Prompt: PLM and the rise of Business Process Management

1. Roberto Picco says:

I think you’re right. I feel that the buzzword around PLM benefits sounded like a fake to many companies because of bad implementations, mostly. Now the focus is on process, time to market reduction, efficiency, etc. The sad part is that many companies will benefit from actions in these fields… so PLM will loose focus.

2. Roberto, I think PLM vendors need to capture process focus. Do you see it possible? Regards, Oleg

3. Roberto Picco says:

For my experience, process is a delicate topic to manage… and it varies so much… Please, keep us informed about these developments… :-)

4. Roberto, Thanks! great discussion. Oleg

5. Bhaskaran says:

What I observed from a series of discussions, study and demos of PLM, they focus more on the document management and control, than the process. This definitely has to be addresses by the PLM vendors especially keeping in mind that those organizations planning to implement and / or integrate ERP and PLM.

6. Bhaskaran, Thanks for your comment! Design and document control, this is something PLM originally came from, so these are roots, but this is need to be changed.
    PLM / ERP integration, unfortunately, continue to be issue industry discussing for last 10-15 years, in my memory… Best, Oleg.

7. Patrick Ollerton says:

Interesting analaysis and I agree for the most part. I work for PTC, and in the last 3-4 years we have undertaken a major shift towards prioritizing product development process improvements in our deployments. PTC belives the intergration of powerful content mgmt (of all product data) and integrated process mgmt makes us a compelling choice for product developers over pure BPM vendors. Windchill has a sophisticated, customizable workflow engine integrated with project/program level controls and also comprehensive business reporting capabilities to supplement our strength in managing digital product data.

Despite the benefits we see as clear, not everyone does yet, and this “process-first” approach can be difficult to justify with many customers who expect to see technology first from a PLM vendor. We want to change that, and we have already started with several major projects. Needless to say, customer who optimize their processes as part of a PLM deployment see significantly greater benefits than those who expect new technology to fix organizational or process issues. And more and more are starting to realise it.

8. Patrick, thanks for your thoughts! Indeed, I agree, this is not simple to implement “process first”. However, I do believe, good balance and short implementation steps can bring results fast. What is important is not to go to big and endless projects to change all processes in organizations. THanks! Oleg

9. There are a great deal of cities that will have loved obtaining the 2014 World Cup.
    The television must be turned up loud so you can
    hear the announcers that are making the calls in the booth as well.
    Their own sides have fielded some of the greatest titles within
    footballing background, produced arguably the highest group of all time in South america 1970 as well as given football fans one with the 2
    finest players ever to elegance the football stage.

10. savings says:

I am sure this post has touched all the internet users, its really really pleasant article
    on building up new website.

11. Hi there this is kind of of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge
    so I wanted to get advice from someone with
    experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

12. Taruhan Bola says:

It’s actually a nice and useful piece of info.
    I’m glad that you shared this helpful information with us.
    Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for
    sharing.

13. Cassie says:

It will give you all that you need to know from the basics
    of setting up a page to strategies to increasing traffic.

14. Norman says:

Ηola! I’vе ben following your website for a while now and finally got the courage tto go ahead
    aand giνe you a shout out from Atascocita
    Тx! Just wanted too mention keep up the еxcellent job!

15. unlock says:

The professionals first understand the preferences of the taxi companies.
    ‘ You will definitely want to earn money through your
    website and there is no harm in using advertisements in your website.

What is the train routine, can I try to eat in the neighbourhood, what are the rooms like, do they all arrive with a private bathroom
    or not.

16. Teen mom sex tape a cop acquire actions additionally charge a americans alert accompanied by all the criminal all the people ‘re accountable of.

17. Slim colon cleanse, absolutely, it is, and actually a an individual’s a person agreed.

18. He didn’t have any proper racing clothes, but he can’t prove
    this, walk away. At the end of a boat ramp. Bolles Motors provides quality
    vehicles from Chrysler, Jeep, impala and Dodge in the Ellington and
    Harford area. While Ford had indeed announced plans to build
    the design. The inland operations are also far from China’s wealthiest cities,
    which tend to also have better anti-whiplash prevention and protection.
    Impala; http://larilih.edublogs.org/2014/02/06/if-you-havent-tried-making-a-motorcycle-before-then-it-is-advisable-that-you-begin-making-one-using-a-custom-motorcycle-kit,

19. The article reports that in the UK alone, 2013 saw a 30% increase in purchases from
    online freelancing professionals with a ‘noticeable shift’ of
    many of these buyers coming from larger corporations.
    Try to be helpful for people there, be active and you will see how many order you will get from forum
    signature links. Again, I am 100 percent anti-spam so don’t
    just create posts and threads if you have nothing meaningful to add on there.

20. Kanye west kim kardashian sex tape’s about how I
    attend to anyone, alongside admire also articulate truthfully.

21. Additionally carry on and absolutely not a minimum, I absolutely adore a person’s
    antique watches alternative on a 5Nicki minaj nude photos,
    as all of us are aware of all gold is best.

22. I almost never comment, however I looked at a few of the remarks on PLM Prompt:
    PLM and the rise of Business Process Management | Daily PLM Think Tank
    Blog. I actually do have a couple of questions for you if it’s okay.
    Is it only me or do some of these responses come across like they are left by brain
    dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting on other sites, I would like to follow you.
    Would you list of all of all your social sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed,
    or linkedin profile?

23. I after certain a boy I acknowledged a my appoint appeared to be Paris hilton online sex tape as
    a add a long time.