PLM Prompt: What Means to Create “Good Enough” PLM?

Short prompt. I want to continue  theme related to PLM adoption. There are many talks about PLM deployment, ROI, Values etc. But does it make sense to create “good enough PLM”?  What does it mean?  What should be included?

This is my priority list:

1/ Flexibility

2/ Usability

3/ Integration

What do you think?

13 Responses to PLM Prompt: What Means to Create “Good Enough” PLM?

1. Cam Bickel says:

Those are good. I would also add data integrity because without that what’s the point? You almost always start with dirty data and it is impossible to instantly make it right.

For wide adoption users must see the value otherwise they will fall back to finding ways around the system. I find that some users understand the value right away, and some don’t ever get it. Most are in between.

PS Oleg – great site, very thought provoking.

Cam

2. Cam, Thanks! You are right. Data Integrity is important. I had it in my minds when wrote – “integration”. Cheers, Oleg.

3. Jovan says:

So thought provoking that I decided to start my blog :)
    I probably won’t update as much as you do, but I’ll try to post regularly.

4. Jovan, Good luck! I’ll come to read (for sure) :)… Oleg.

5. Roberto Picco says:

Yep Oleg… Your update rate is awkward for any blogger, me included :-)

Back in topic: I second Cam’s opinion about data integrity. I have nightmares sometimes about it, though I know IT guys are doing a great work… I wanna add “cross-media”. Your last post about iPhone is the perfect explaination. And Catia/Enovia on Apple computers is my wettest dream…

6. Roberto, Thank you! My blog is still far from perfection. You can see others in our community are doing great job, for example Josh from solidsmack.
    Re “cross-media”. My position on this is to take it via cloud/browser. As soon as you have something running in browser, you will make huge single step toward running on all platforms (from phones to Win and OS/X). In today’s CAD developer dilemma – go to OS/X vs. browser, I’d vote for browser.
    Best, Oleg.

7. [...] PLM Prompt: What Means to Create “Good Enough” PLM? « Daily PLM … [...]

8. Doug Murray says:

A good simple list. I guess it all depends on what the sub headings are going to be under each of those. I would push usability right ot the top of the list. If users can’t use it then then won’t, it’s that simple. I would give up flexibility over usability any day. If there was only one simple easy to teach way of doing something or three flexible but comlicated ways of doing something then I would rather go for the simple way every time. As we expand our PLM system we teach one consistent method of doing something. Once users are comforatble we can tech them some alternatives, but to get adoption rates up its go to be simple. As Cam said some people never seem to get it.

9. Hello Doug, thanks for your insight. Usability these days definitely drives user adoption. And for PLM is critical. On top of that, good combination of simplicity and flexibility need to win. This is not simple to achieve :). In the end this balance is what finally can make deal. Welcome to plmtwine! – Cheers, Oleg

10. Carl Breving says:

Since the question is for “good enough” PLM, I think that Usability and Integration are more important than Flexibility. The phrasing of “good enough” elicits thoughts of a usable system that seeks to accomplish the minimum tasks of a PLM, not necessarily something very flexible.

For a great PLM, I do agree with your listed order. Usability and integration are significantly important attributes and sometimes even a minor usability issue gives a bad overall impression. These minor (sometimes major) issues can very often be overcome if there is flexibility in the system. This puts flexibility at the top. Integration is often a subset of usability, so I put it below usability.

11. Carl, Thanks for your comments! Usability is pre-req from my view. Integration and Flexibility is very interconnected in my eyes. Welcome to plmtwine discussion!… Best, Oleg

12. Bala says:

SCALABILITY!.
    Just as data and business workflow complexity grows with time, the system should support scalability easily by using J2EE or such robust technology and can be easily upgraded.

13. Bala, thanks for your comment! I think, scalability of PLM systems is not on the critical path. All major PLM vendors are providing solutions that capable of hold global enterprise deployment. The potential growth can be into cloud space when additional computational and data storage capacity can be available on demand to support growth need. Best, Oleg