Organizations today are looking for ways to improve their performance. I think that the right tools (or right technologies) can help them. One of them is the technology to manage multiple Bill of Materials. Why do I think this is important? I tried to analyze how people in organizations work and discovered that their work is very sequential: design-engineering-manufacturing planning, etc. Each step depends on the previous one. On the other side, it is rare that using single steps from design to manufacturing can create final results as designers and engineers need to work in cycles. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen many tools that can allow to these engineers and designers to work on the same content together. For each step, they need to release information early and move onto the next step and be able to co-edit – this is the only way to improve productivity. It also helps if you don’t lose time on communication and data translation.

Management of multiple Bill of Materials can resolve the bottleneck typical in product development. What can we do practically? We need technologies that allow us to manage multiple structure of information – design, engineering, manufacturing –at the same time. If we can do this, users will be able to co-edit this data without waiting in line until each person in this design-to-manufacturing game finishes his or her work. Today, a lot of time is wasted while waiting for somebody else to finish his or her work.. The second part of this technology will be to eliminate the need for second and third manual data entry. The third and most important part will be the ability to work in cycles where changes are synchronized between multiple structures.

One possible way (this is just to make our discussion more practical) is to create a model for multiple BOMs, will be a 3D matrix of data with the following dimensions:

(1) Bill of Material (actual data structure);

(2) Bill of Material Type or Role (engineering, manufacturing etc.);

(3) Changes (represents level of maturity);

These 3-dimensional data structure will allow you to link relevant information between design, engineering and other domains of data and manage changes simultaneously.multibom

Efficient management of multiple BOMs will resolve bottlenecks and improve organizational performance. I think, the ability to manage these multiple Bill-Of-Materials will be a key capability of the next PLM systems. Although today there are systems that let you work with Bill of Materials, their main disadvantages is that they need people to invest their time into transforming one data structure into another.

32 Responses to Improve organizational performance by the management of multiple Bill Of Materials

1. Wayne says:

I am not sure what you are saying here. The nature of a PLM system and its change management allows all those needing to use and change BOMs to see the latest versions, and all pending changes. If three BOMs are needed, then they must be managed accordingly. Changes can be reflected in each BOM depending on how the ECO is managed. If you want to consider managing Multiple BOMs then also consider Variant BOMs where mutiple BOMs of similar contents can be more easily changed, using bulk change features or more simple ECOs due to the minimal variant change contents per variant.
    All in all, there will always be at least 3 types of BOMs as you describe, all will be in flux, and all can be managed as easily as possible right now. It is the engineer’s responsibility to review ALL where-used requirements and make changes appropriately!
    Thanks.

2. Hello Wayne,
    Thanks for coming to discuss on my blog. My point is that straightforward system that manage multiple Bill of Materials is horrible. Such system can survive from need to synchronize and update lots of information and changes. You can, of course, to say – this is engineer responsibility to review ALL, but from my experience humans are very bad in managing complex tasks and, therefore, I’d like to discuss idea how possible to manage it without going to multiple Bill of Material structures. We can save lots of synchronization work in this case. – Does it make sense?
    Best -Oleg/

3. Ashok J says:

Hi
    Indeed BOM management is very complex and vary with industry segment we refer to. I concur with the idea of having multiple BOMs for an organization, specially i they are globally distributed. Here i am writing my openion of what multi-BOM is and how it should be implemented. Design BOM is closest to CAD structure (same as). Engineering BOM could be with Non-Modeled parts added to it. Both these BOMs define WHAT the Product is. Manufacturing BOM will be specific to a location of manufacturing and has to define HOW a product is manufactured. MBOM also suited ideally for effectivity control and Make Buy decision. The next piece could be Process BOM which could define HOW part to great detail & provide details on process instructions. As of today most of the PLM products do not address these issues. This is mainly due to the variability of business needs betwen any two organizations. Another important influencer is the role played by individuals in an org. Some engineers double as Product Engineer and Process Engineer and they do not see the benefit of splitting the BOM for better management. If you add service BOM and Product configurators the issue becomes more complex.
    I do beleive that such dicussions will bring out a solution for this complex problem over a period of time. N

4. Hi Ashok, I like your definition of design-engineering-manufacturing BOM approach. I think the biggest problem of this approach is to have all these BOMs (or views) to work together. Did you try any specific products to implement this approach? I will be happy to discuss more specific issues you discovered. Best- Oleg.

5. Ashok J says:

Hi Oleg,

As i said in my earlier blog post, the solution is not there at present. But i did work on creating EBOM and MBOM. Main advantages obtained were ability to add manufacturing parts(phantom parts), set Make Buy decisions, set effectivity dates to parts and have manufacturing change control. Restructuring of BOM was not acheived in our solution due to difficulties you mentioned. But i strongly beleive a roboust solution is possible as more discussions and trials take place. I operate out of Bangalore, India.

Regards
    Ashok Kumar J

6. Hello Ashok, I see advantages in separation of BOM, but at the same time difficulties on synchronization between engineering and manufacturing boms (as you mentioned in your case) will be very significant. So, I’m confident that conceptually multi-BOM is right solution to provide to organization, however implementation is pretty complex… -Oleg

7. John Sprenz says:

You are right on. Multiple BOM’s are an absolute necessity. I do Manage Multiple BOM’s under a single Item Revision (EBOM MBOM SBOM PBOM) in my PDM/PLM system. Not only that I transfer these BOM’s and there individual elements to multiple cubes (in an AS 400 OS) in our ERP system.

This is easily done in a quality PDM/PLM System. We use Teamcenter. In Teamcenter one has the oportunity to define different View Type (called BOM View Revisions or BVR’s) becasue the BOM is a seperate entity it can be placed multiple time under a single Item Revision or a sub assembly or an entire product. I know I am entering this discussion late but if you do receive this I would be glad to show you how we do it.

8. John, thank you for commenting and sharing your experience. Yes, the ability to have multiple views is popular in current generation of PDM/PLM systems. However, I’d be taking it a step forward and thinking how to manage a single, unified Bill of Material environment. Take a look on this. I’d be interested to get your opinion – http://plmtwine.com/2009/10/14/seven-rules-towards-single-bill-of-material/. Best, Oleg

9. Jennifer says:

I happened to see your discussion here. PTC’s Windchill handles exactly what you need. A EBOM can be created automatically when a CAD model is checked in, or manually, or uploaded via Excel, then MBOM, SBOM, etc can be created. If EBOM changes, the changes are propagated to the other BOMs. Also, PTC has an integrator that does downstream publishing, so these BOMs can be published in ERP.

10. Jennifer, thanks for coming to discuss to my blog! I think, most of PLM systems (and Windchill is part of them) are doing some type of multiple BOM stuff. However, it seems to me, the complication is very high. To set up all synchronization rules is not a trivial job. In addition, to figure out all rules is not straightforward as well. What is your take? Best, Oleg

11. Content writing services India bikaner…

[...]Improve organizational performance by the management of multiple Bill Of Materials « Daily PLM Think Tank Blog[...]…

12. newegg says:

you’re in point of fact a excellent webmaster. The web site loading speed is amazing.
    It seems that you’re doing any distinctive trick.

Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you have done a magnificent task in
    this subject!

13. On lack of in the coffeehouse is bookstore, where students become more willing to work from home line to purchase cramming books on chemistry, civil service,
    and English literature alongside parents thrilled to be out
    inside the rain since they buy the latest fashion in notebooks and colored pens for their primary school
    children. Everybody from seniors to middle school children are visiting there favorite torrent sites to downloads what they desire to see.

Due on the extreme speeds with the network, the server accomplishes the 1:
    1 ratio inside a relatively short time.

14. homepage says:

Thank you for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will
    be waiting for your next post thanks once again.

15. I have been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or weblog posts in this sort of space .
    Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this web site.
    Studying this information So i am satisfied to convey that I’ve
    an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I
    discovered exactly what I needed. I such a lot unquestionably will make sure to do not omit this site and give
    it a glance regularly.

16. WOW just wht I was searching for. Came here by searching for ache

17. This aragraph is truly a good one it helps new net visitors,
    who aare wishing in favor of blogging.

18. There are several advantages of pay out your amount to get real followers.

You need to know what price-point to set, but you
    are not exactly sure what the public might be willing to pay for a product as unique as this.
    tv to expand its website and include more gamer-targeted advertisements.

19. minecraft says:

I do not leave a response, but after reading through some of the remarks on Improve organizational performance by the management of multiple Bill Of Materials
    | Daily PLM Think Tank Blog. I do have a couple of questions
    for you if it’s allright. Could it be just me or do some of these remarks appear like they are coming from brain dead people?
    :-P And, if you are posting at additional online sites,
    I’d like to keep up with you. Could you post a list of the complete urls of all your shared sites like
    your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

20. What’s up friends, its enormous paragraph
    concerning cultureand fully defined, keep it up all the time.

21. Hі, jսst wanted to say, I liked tɦis post.
    It was helpful. Keeƿ on posting!

22. Garfield says:

Hi there, I want to subscribe for this blog to obtain most recent updates, thus whhere ccan i do iit please
    help.

23. Do you have a spam problem on this website; I also am a blogger, and I was curious about your situation; we
    have developed some nice practices and we are
    looking to exchange solutions with other folks, please shoot me an e-mail if interested.

24. stretch marks cream

Improve organizational performance by the management of multiple Bill Of Materials | Daily PLM Think Tank Blog

25. surveymonkey says:

surveymonkey

26. Holland: Tulip City, Michigan is a cultural feast of events:
    dance, art, music and historic Hope College right downtown.
    Top mount refrigerators are excellent for storage space as they have wide shelves and a lot of door shelves for drinks and condiments.
    With so many options available, you should be able to find and ship models according to your individual needs without much trouble.

27. Thanks on your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you happen to be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and
    may come back down the road. I want to encourage you
    continue your great job, have a nice holiday weekend!

28. Jaunita says:

hello!,I reallky like your writing very a lot! percentage we kep in touch extra approximattely your afticle
    oon AOL? I need an expert in this area tto unravel my problem.

May be that’s you! Having a look ahed to see you.

29. the site says:

the site

30. Very descriptive blog, I enjoyed that bit. Will there be a part 2?

31. Hi there, I want to subscribe for this webpage to take newest updates, so where can i do it please
    help.

32. A fascinating discussion is worth comment. I do believe that you need to
    write more about this subject, it may not be a taboo subject but usually people don’t speak about these topics.
    To thhe next! Kiind regards!!